Four Things to Consider Before Packing for College




I'm one of those people who loves to make lists.

If I had a dollar for every time I made a list of tasks to complete and then started another list before tackling the original one, I would be at least a ten-thousandaire by now. At least.

So it makes sense that far months before heading off to college, I stared combing through Pinterest looking for the perfect list that would tell me everything I needed. Let me tell you now that there is no such thing. There are many good ones out there and I figured that I'd also put one out there just to tell you what I needed as a freshman and specifically as a pre-med student. Hopefully this will give you a good idea of what you absolutely don't want to forget and what you can leave at home. For me, it was hard to stick to a reasonable amount of stuff because I was so worried about forgetting something at my parent's house and  being stranded without it for months. I know, pretty dramatic, but at the time I thought that was my #1 worry (which believe me it is not).

Still, it's nice to have guidelines, so before you buy or pack anything for college, you should consider the following...


1. How much will I use this?  

It's a fact of life that college freshmen over-pack. I did it and it's pretty likely you will too. It's not a huge deal because if I'm being honest, I'd rather pack too much than too little. Still though, it's nice to have a heads up so you won't be as embarrassed if you need someone to help you move in. (See next point for more on this). Since this is pretty much unavoidable, my best advice to you is to take home excess stuff over break so there's not as much when you move out.

2. Do I want to move this?

Before you move in, it's nice if you have an idea of how far you will have to carry your things and who's going to help you move in. It's good to keep in mind that freshmen (at least where I go) don't always get the best housing, so don't be surprised if you suddenly develop biceps in the first week. This is a good thing to know before you try to carry  heavy furniture across campus alone or up a flight (or two) of stairs.

3. What will be provided?

Every college is different, so I can only base this list off of what was helpful at my particular university, not every school. With this in mind, I encourage you to set aside a little time to look over what your school will be offering and what they expect you to bring. It's especially helpful to check out your meal plan, dorm situation, and syllabuses (syllabi?) to see what is expected of you. Looking at this stuff ahead of time can save you a lot of pain and, even better, a lot of money. This brings me to my next point...

4. Is this the best use of my money?

Besides their reputation for being totally wild (another thing I've since learned is a big misconception ) college students are notoriously broke.

It's true- we poor. (Seriously, you would be amazed by the things we do to save a dollar or two).

So, if like me you do not want to spend more money than you have to, it's best to really consider what you want to spend your (or your parents') hard earned cash on. My advice here is to make a list of what you want to get before you walk into the store. Although I had a general idea of what I wanted when I went shopping for school supplies shopping, I was all over the place once I got inside the store. I got such a thrill out of finally using some of the money I had raised over the summer, that I suddenly "remembered" all these important foods and supplies that I hadn't firmly decided on beforehand. 


Thanks for reading :) Did I forget anything? Do you have any more packing tips for freshmen? Let me know in the comments if you liked this list, or shoot me an email right here if you have an idea for an article you would like to see in the future.

Comments